Locally here there is a University Extension Program and they have various classes for retired folks, as well as a few degree programs. Since this is a global golfing community and resort tourist area, and since so many folks have second homes here, it makes sense to cater to that crowd. The other day, I sat down for coffee with a successful retired gentleman who'd done a lot in his life, both as an applied researcher and as the CEO of a Silicon Valley company many years the prior.
He mentioned to me that he was taking some college classes and was actually also teaching one. He suggested that I go take some college courses as well, or better yet go teach a class and spread my knowledge. I thought about his advice and questioned the concept. Indeed, it did not seem appropriate for me. For a couple of reasons, first as an entrepreneur I've always had a dim view of academia, often stating that "those who can't teach" - and I even left college after two years to run my companies.
Later, I had considered in my case that was the best decision, but not one I'd recommend for everyone. Several times during my life folks have suggested to me that I go back to school, college, and get a graduate degree of some kind. I've often joked to myself that "misery loves company" - but usually I just ask them "why?" - I mean why on Earth would someone go back to school, to a college or university, after achieving something in the real world?
Consider if you will the high-costs these days for tuition, and there is no doubt you'd be taking at least some classes from professors who are lesser achieved, not as wise, and linearly jaded towards academia. It has been suggested to me, that I am just too proud to go back to college, which I find laughable, but have indeed thought about those comments with serious reflection. Maybe you should too, have you ever considered going back to college?
Now then, I have gone back to colleges and universities, and spoken to students, given talks, lectures, etc. I always get a huge round of applause, perhaps because that is the proper academic protocol, or perhaps, I have truly enlightened the students, it's hard to say. But, with all this said, consider it a case study and let me ask you one more time; what's your excuse for not going back to college? Are you too proud or do you believe the costs are too high? Please think on this.
Lance Winslow is a retired Founder of a Nationwide Franchise Chain, and now runs the Online Think Tank. Lance Winslow believes writing 23,100 articles was a lot of work - because all the letters on his keyboard are now worn off.. |
No comments:
Post a Comment